Friday, December 21, 2007

Holiday Avalanche

Okay! So, here we are on the Friday before Christmas. Normally my life is a scheduled chaos this time of year, just like everyone elses. But this year, it's pretty quiet. No family, no significant others, and no big pressures.

You know, how we deal with life is, in part, controlling our thoughts and emotions and those of us who are of the female persuasion may agree that controlling the emotions part of our brain is the MOST challenging thing to do sometimes. Today was a tough day. I've lost one of my 5 best friends today. Beverly Hewitt. She was real, honest and caring and a hard worker. She was simple. Life was not complicated for her. She enjoyed a ride on the Harley, an evening by a fire, good food and cold beer! I relocated and even though we spent drastically less time together, we were still great friends. The Lord had taken me away from her and turned my life in a drastically different direction but still she accepted me for who I am and I for who she was. A great friend and she will be sorely missed.

I got a great gift this week....a little 5 point buck! I do enjoy wild game and this was a treat for me. A friend of mine came up and helped my hang it and quarter it and we started butchering it last night and I will finish it tonight! I took the first backstrap and seared it in a little Olive oil, then rubbed it with Rosemary and threw it in a low temp oven (250) with a little veggie broth, a huge potatoe, some carrots and a red onion! MMMMMMMMMmmmmm! Came out juicy, tender and permeated with wonderful flavors. Made for good eats and tonight the left overs will be topped with a crumbled feta cheese, a side salad with tart apples,crunchy walnuts, crisp baby spinach and a raspberry vinagrette and a wonderful, buttery risotto on the side! I love to cook and I love to cook good for myself. I feel better when I eat good food, the food tastes better when it is beautiful and you are more satisfied if you have taken the time to prepare the meal. I love massaging flavors, blending aromas and watching as the arrangement comes together for a grand presentation on the plate just tempting all the senses.

Also, here we sit the 21st of December and we were planting trees today and mulching flower beds! Still working in December?! You bet. So long as the ground is not frozen, we WILL plant! LOL. What a great Provider He is!

It is wonderful how my God can bring such beauty and release into a day laced with pain. As a child of the King, I know that He protects me, loves me, takes joy in my existence and He provides for me every need and desire as I seek Him. I thank God daily that He is in control and I have no worry so long as I leave the control in His hands.

No comments: