Friday, October 19, 2012

I have two faithful companions that have gone with me all over the place for the past 10 to 15 years. Lanie and Mr. Jed. Two friends who have been resiliently accompanying me in my life. They have been there when I moved from Pennsylvania to Ohio and then three time in Ohio. They have gone hiking with me, walking, driving, ate meals with me, watched movies, shared laughter and tears and friendships. They have greeted friends and strangers alike when I could not get to the door and had a smile and affection for everyone they met.


I sat in the yard the other day where my Laney is buried and laid a small bouquet of Sage and Lavender on the grassy bed where she rests. The two spots in my garden she would consistently find moles, rabbits and mice were around my big Sage plants and through the straw mulch around my 200 Lavender plants. I sat and shared with only the spirit of the forest how beautiful a fall it was and how I missed seeing her and Jed bounce through the beautiful leaves with renewed energy as if the cool fall temperatures brought them new life. I will tell her again about the first snow when it comes. I will shed more tears as I remember throwing her snowballs to chase after and how they would run down the hill after the tube while we laughed and squealed. I will miss seeing Mr Jed run as fast as he could through the snow and take big mouthfuls as he went.

Always kind, always forgiving, never judgemental. Willing to go wherever I wanted to go whenever I wanted to go. Hearts like lions. Rottweilers in a Terrier body. I will forever miss my Jacks.

No comments: