Saturday, January 5, 2008

How Bright?

This stillness of winter closes in every year for me. I spend as much time as I can outside to absorb those precious rays of scarce sunlight that penetrate this valley so few days this time of year. This year has had its changes in weather already...fluffy snow, snowball snow, drizzly rain, 60 mile and hour winds that cut through every layer you have on and lay down the undergrowth in the fields as if in preparation for a new year. I am forever amazed at how excited my two Jack Russels get when it snows! The chance to run with reckless abandon, noses to the ground, tails wagging...it should be a message for me to take time to enjoy this time of regeneration while nature takes a break. While nature rests, I feel the beginnings of life again begin to stir as the new plant lists, seed catalogs and perrenial selections stuff my small PO box to the brim. (I'm sure the postmaster dreads this time of year:)) I envy those who are in warmer regions and already seeing life anew in their gardens! So as I munch away on a spring mix salad topped with red bell pepper and smoked turkey chunks, I snuggle a little closer to the stove and warm thoughts of a brighter spring dance like sugar plums through my head!
My furry companions fill the empty spaces with their kind eyes, wet noses and relish for each new day. So what if we met each day with the same vigor? We would be unstoppable! So I ask...how bright is your future? What do you or I have that is holding us back? Fear of failure perhaps? Lack of direction or knowledge? Where will you go? Maybe it's as simple as taking the backroads instead of the main roads one day. Look for your inspiration in those around you...your children, your nieghbors children, an elderly friend or loved one who is feeling forgotten and left behind, perhaps even, as I do, animals.
We are barreling toward spring and my creative juices are starting to warm up as I think of all the prospective gardens that lay in wait...waiting to be discovered in the minds of my clients. How many women are standing at their kitchen sink and looking out at a stark backyard after a reveling DIY garden show and wonder where the winter interest, the fantastic bulb display and the pathways lined with blossoms begging to be picked or sniffed... where are they and can this ever become a reality? I wait with real anticipation that perhaps this year will be the year of great challenge and, dare I dream, great acomplishment for someone who I have been able to help along the way.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Paul certainly knew what he was talking about. So long as I seek Him for guidance and strength FIRST, then I will succeed. I count it an unparrelled honor to be a tool in the hand of the Master Planner and greatest Designer that has ever lived.

So how bright is your future? Got your shades ready?

No comments: